V8 playtesting query.

Forum for info about WM Althings, elections, questions about the Kingdom, etc.

V8 playtesting query.

Postby Randall » Fri May 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Can someone please give me an update on where Westmarch is regarding V8 playtesting? In the rest of Dragonspine, the Alaskan chapters are doing full-time playtesting, so is High Oasis in Arizona, Wyrm Spire in New Mexico, and the crown lands. I believe Obsidian Gate has started playtesting and Pegasus Valley is moving to twice monthly. I want to make sure Westmarch and its lands are also contributing to this effort—I am certain the question will come up during the kingdom bid, and it's also something important to Dragonspine!

I'd love to hear an update on any playtesting, as well as plays to embark on playtesting. Much appreciated!
Randall
Magic Word Fairy

Re: V8 playtesting query.

Postby Guyvas » Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm

currently TR has play tested once a month but we are holding an althing soon to possibly switch to V8 full time. I know everyone else has tested some but no one is full time testing except I believe Aegir's Hall just switched.

Collin the, new WM Champion, is pushing monthly V8 testing
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Mannanan » Sat May 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Crimsonwood has been running playtest days once a month. We just got a huge influx of new players last week so we will be postponing our June playtest to avoid confusion of rules. playtests will continue on an at least monthly basis in July.
- Baronet Mannanan, MaA to Baronet Torbjorn Kegslayer Esq.
Mannanan

Postby Etah » Sat May 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Most of the games we play at Aegir's Hall are v8 games.
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby deimos » Sun May 26, 2013 8:01 am

SSD has been V8 playtesting sporadically. We probably average one playtest a month.
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby Collin the Red » Sun May 26, 2013 9:53 am

As the new Champion of Westmarch I have schedualed a once monthly v8 test Principality wide. Our mid-reign will include a full day of v8 testing. I encourage all lands to do additional testing and to report on the Facebook v8 feedback page.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Grimbold » Mon May 27, 2013 7:04 am

Yes, AH has converted to V8 full time. So far all the issues we have found, we have found answers to also, so not much to report about it. As our parks players learn how classes work, the power balance has shifted. Assasins were strong on our field until wizards started figuring out their class, now our field is really balanced again.

As a smaller park, the one thing we have noticed, is that the synergy between classes means that games on small fields can be drastically unbalanced by one or two spell casters on the the field. If each team has a full compliment of classes, the fields are balanced, but if its a 5 on 5 with only 3 classes being played, then the team with a healer or wizard is OP and almost unbeatable.
vincit qui se vincit
vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Grimbold

Postby Laoric » Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 am

Grimbold wrote:Yes, AH has converted to V8 full time. So far all the issues we have found, we have found answers to also, so not much to report about it. As our parks players learn how classes work, the power balance has shifted. Assasins were strong on our field until wizards started figuring out their class, now our field is really balanced again.

As a smaller park, the one thing we have noticed, is that the synergy between classes means that games on small fields can be drastically unbalanced by one or two spell casters on the the field. If each team has a full compliment of classes, the fields are balanced, but if its a 5 on 5 with only 3 classes being played, then the team with a healer or wizard is OP and almost unbeatable.

That's interesting. In 6/7.x you could usually balance a caster with another caster if the players were equal. I'm curious if the issue you bring up is because players are still figuring out how to balance each other out or if there just isn't enough cross-cancellation among all the classes.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Grimbold » Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 am

Its only unbalanced during small games. I don't think is is specific to our players or the the rule set, but a little of both. Example: Multiple assasins on the field, but no wizard. Assasin going insubstantial is now uncounterable and they are the power on the field. Another example: All melee classes playing except one team has a healer using Undead Minion and such. Again, no counter available, the healer now rules the game. It works fine when all the classes have a representative on the field, but when your game is 5-15 folks, the requirement of teamwork makes for harder balance. We have tried balancing using players, not classes, and that helps some, but that leads to all games being the same players vs the same players, which is also no fun.
vincit qui se vincit
Grimbold

Postby Laoric » Mon May 27, 2013 11:43 am

Do you think, Grim, it would get better as your player base gets more familiar with everything they can do? Or is it literally just "without class X, class Y runs the field"?
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Grimbold » Mon May 27, 2013 1:23 pm

I suspect a portion of it is us. I noticed that once assassin got too useful, i went wizard, took all the counters and kills for insubstantial players, and that re-balanced the field. We are still working out the kinks to be sure. I suspect if the players all knew the rules perfectly, and there were an unbalanced classes on the field we might still find that one single spell caster can skew the game balance strongly. We will continue playing and find out.
vincit qui se vincit
Grimbold

Postby Laoric » Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Grimbold wrote:I suspect a portion of it is us. I noticed that once assassin got too useful, i went wizard, took all the counters and kills for insubstantial players, and that re-balanced the field. We are still working out the kinks to be sure. I suspect if the players all knew the rules perfectly, and there were an unbalanced classes on the field we might still find that one single spell caster can skew the game balance strongly. We will continue playing and find out.

Neat! I haven't played any of V8 yet because there's no real Amtgard out here. I'm interested in hearing what people I actually know think about it.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Grimbold » Mon May 27, 2013 3:22 pm

The fact that i had to go wizard to balance a field full of assassins is what i am commenting on really. If you have a field with a lot of assassins, and no one takes wizard, those assassins are boss.
vincit qui se vincit
Grimbold

Postby Guyvas » Mon May 27, 2013 3:30 pm

We also experienced this...Artemis would go healer with an archetype that gave him chargeable swift rez and with no other casters on the field (because of tantrums mostly) his team would always win
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Laoric » Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 pm

So it sounds like you're saying not enough classes have the tools needed to offset others? The rock/paper/scissors is dependent not on the players but on the class make up?

I'm asking because, while there was a fair amount of deficiencies between classes in 7.x, it was nearly impossible for a good player to not overcome another player regardless of class.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Next

Return to Important Westmarch Issues