Flurbtastic 7

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Crimson Wood

Moderators: Drenth, bill the nun

Flurbtastic 7

Postby Bodger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:31 am

I understand it's to be March 24, 2017 – March 26, 2017 at Enchanted Hills Camp and the theme will be Vikings.

I've never been to one of these, so could use some guidance from someone more knowledgeable. I have some particular questions, which I've saved for the end.

I'd like to set up my forge and show and teach others to smith some simple projects. My plan, subject to change based on feedback from more seasoned hands, is:

Set up camp and forge as soon as feasible.

Delineate the camp and forge as a non-combat, non-horseplay area. This will be enforced by any means necessary. I will have pieces of sharp, red-hot steel in my hands and none of these are feasible to make Amtgard-Legal.

Make charcoal.

Alternate smiting iron with teaching others how to make a tent stake or S-hook to all suitably waivered comers.

Donations to cover materials and expenses will be accepted.

Clean and restore the site to better-than-we-found condition.

Here are my areas of concern:

Is this likely to present legal or insurance problems? Are there any precautions that can mitigate the potential for problems?

Is it permissible to start setting up on Thursday?

I understand that the cabins are quite nice; is camping in a tent an option? I was envisioning a smithy-camp combination, with my "viking" tent in the background and my non-flurby truck, etc. tucked out of sight behind.

It would help to have a responsible assistant to keep things organized when the crowd becomes youthful, large, or rowdy. I have one person lined up; would anyone else like to rotate into that role, so that each of you gets a chance to participate in other activities?
The Jolly Bodger
Bodger

Re: Flurbtastic 7

Postby Bodger » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:40 pm

I've heard a rumor that the forging activity is not permissible, so I'll have to change the plan, unless or until someone can tell me of an alternative approach. If someone can speak authoritatively on this subject I welcome clarification.

Having gathered the necessary tools and supplies, I'll keep them in abeyance, pending a suitable venue.
The Jolly Bodger
Bodger

Return to Duchy of Crimson Wood - Rohnert Park, CA