Rivertown Revival

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Crimson Wood

Moderators: Drenth, bill the nun

Rivertown Revival

Postby Bodger » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 am

How much interest is there in doing a demo, etc. at Rivertown Revival?

http://www.rivertownrevival.com/ is a steampunk art and music festival on (in the middle of) the river in Petaluma, held this year on July 22.

The far corner is usually lightly trafficked, so I think we can find enough space there. I was imagining we'd display some stuff and rope off an area for alternate demos and an introductory game, much like we've done before at Cons.

Pros: there is a lot of sillyiness and this might be a good venue to recruit folks who like to dress strangely and do oddball things, somewhat older than the LumaCon crowd.

Cons: it's on a Saturday, which will impair the usual park day, there are 5 stages of music, so it gets a bit loud, there is beer and wine served, so things can get a bit rowdy, the ground isn't tended, so is quite rough, there are obstacles that might make retrieving projectiles awkward, and there are no trees or other shade, so it gets HOT.

I've spoken to a few people, including Leroy, and they've been supportive, so I emailed Elizabeth, the spiritual leader, but haven't heard back. They're putting plans in place, so I'm going to pursue this expeditiously, unless there is a clear opposition.
The Jolly Bodger
Bodger

Re: Rivertown Revival

Postby Bodger » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:01 pm

So I talked to them today. The person I spoke to was receptive, but pointed out 2 possible difficulties:

The theme this year is the American Revolution, which isn't a natural fit for us.

The far corner, which I thought we might rope off, is now allocated for the Butterfly Stage, so they might not have a large area for us to rope off, which puts a crimp in our usual Peasant Riot.

Would we want to do something more narrowly focused or crowd-interactive? Perhaps some semi-scripted and semi-choreographed duels? With an emphasis on bizarre or outrageous costume?

I'll be crafting with them most Sundays until it happens; they'd be happy for any help we want to give them.
The Jolly Bodger
Bodger

Bad News

Postby Bodger » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:01 am

The committee discussed and declined.

The reasons they gave were a mismatch with the Revolutionary Era theme and the fact that, as RR has grown, there isn't as much open space as there was in years past.

I'm bummed, but think it might be worthwhile to reopen discussion for next year, once the theme is decided.
The Jolly Bodger
Bodger

Return to Duchy of Crimson Wood - Rohnert Park, CA