My fellow foamsmiths;

Discussion/Information about the Shire of Diablo's Cauldron

Moderator: caliban_tempest

My fellow foamsmiths;

Postby Hrafn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:14 am

A sampling of possibilities...
Almost-movie-grade replicas.
a very finely crafted dagger- fit for a jarl!
A decent sword,, battle ready.
a hammer Thor would be proud of.
and an 'axe' dagger- almost what I myself am doing...

And the best part, lads an' lasses, is that this process for making weapons is, for all accounts, field legal provided you end up with a safe, legal weapon with cloth on the strike surfaces. The striking surface is cloth covered, then mold and shape the rest using PD. So what say you? Any interest in furthering the art of design?

I'm all ears for ideas on getting this to work, whether it's pitching in for materials or just scouting stores for supplies so I can get them myself or even just willingness to consider these; don't want to sound like I'm asking for hand-outs, har. :)

Edited for intent and to clarify
Last edited by Hrafn on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I work on an iPhone. Sometimes it "corrects" my spelling in all the wrong ways.
Hrafn

Re: My fellow foamsmiths;

Postby Collin the Red » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:00 am

Careful about calling all of those field legal, as most (if you read the articles fully) are not Amtgard legal.

The CoM and Rules revision group are working on how to make these legal in the future.

PD Shields are coming into our game, but weapons there is still some concern. Also the rules of what parts of the weapon are strike legal and proper padding still applies. Sir Fitz is working on new PD Designs and I met with him at Salt Wars 2010, he is finding compromises to the whole situation.

Yes, they are great looking weapon (far nicer than the standard boffer weapons) but safety is more important than looks.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Cadogan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 am

Hahahahaha I broke that hammer...

Powered by sourdough.

Future home of....

Arthur was here, so was Gonzo
Cadogan
Boxxy

Postby Hrafn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Nice break! I've done similar, I think, though I doubt I still have the pieces. Ah! It just occured to me; could you possibly tell me how long that hammer lasted? I'm seeing our current stock break fairly fast, and the hammer looks repairable. Seems like a possible net-win.

And (though my understanding may be limited) the notes from the CoM meeting on the subject went mostly along the lines of "as long as the striking edge is cloth covered, these aren't illegal in the game now; full Plasti Dip'd weapons are under scrutiny for testing". PD Striking surfaces are still a no-go (which is fine) but any legal weapon, which has added foam for shaping, which is then PD'd (and remains a legal weapon) are great looking and, by all accounts, durable.
I also tried fastidiously to point out that only the last two were Amt-legal, though I don't know my own post word for word... Ah, no. You are right, that was a blanket statement. I blame it on my inability to get to sleep.

Let me try that again, then:
The last three Are even designed for Amtgard: the axe is for all intents field legal (the hammer doesn't look 'flatblade' enough for me to say either way, especially with my current, horrid accuracy) and the sword meets flatblade qualifications as well (took me a minute to tell the edges were cloth). And more importantly, the process is an easy one to begin working with- though the curve of going from good noodle weapons to good weapons of other designs could well be daunting.

My thoughts are, if we can produce beautiful works of mock-lethality, and keep them safe enough then nobody loses, and everybody wins. Safe, good looking, durable... Probably heavier than you're used to, but when dealing with gram-weight weapons I scoff at 'heavy' vs. 'light', despite fairing poorly with my beaters. Collin, if I'm overlooking something let me know (as I'm only tangentially aware of where I should be looking for these things). Nothing worse than crusading for stupidity, aye?
Hrafn

Postby Cadogan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:11 pm

It lasted one swing and was rebuilt. Linden, the creator of that hammer doesn't treat her weapons as roughly as I do so I'm forbidden from borrowing her gear anymore.

Powered by sourdough.

Future home of....

Arthur was here, so was Gonzo
Cadogan
Boxxy

Postby Hrafn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Stars and Fire, man! One?!
Well, comparing life expectancy is no longer a valid tactic for me, then. Har.

It looks like the head came off at a seam, aye? Are those white/silver splotches pieces of foam that ripped off, or tape, or adhesive? And ye said swing, so I'm presuming you didn't hook the head on something and yank... Just asking so I can take the head-failure into account in my own construction. I'm going to assume the construction was pretty solid, as that looks like a vet weapon. I'm also going to hope that the hammer head was attached via a spray adhesive: super 77 and it's ilk* react poorly with the PD, anecdotal evidence saying the applying the Dip will destroy the spray bond at the edges due to chemical interaction. Anecdotal because I haven't done it myself yet (did I just commit to intentional stupidity in the name of science?) and asterisk because I am by no means certain all spray adhesives are the same...
Hrafn

Postby Cadogan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Hrafn wrote:Stars and Fire, man! One?!

Yeah I'm kinda a beast. My knowledge of the construction is pretty limited, just that Linden wasn't happy with the design. I'm pretty sure she has a CAamt account I'll see if she will post on here to answer your questions. If not get an electricsamurai account and PM her on there, she's pretty nice...most the time.