My fellow foamsmiths;

Discussion/Information about the Shire of Diablo's Cauldron

Moderator: caliban_tempest

Re: My fellow foamsmiths;

Postby Hrafn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:01 am

What will this entail? Looking over weapons and checking for bad spots I get, but how do you mend them?
Especially with the pool noodle ones, cutting away the damage and adding more noodle doesn't seem very efficient (though I am failing to factor in both the low cost of supplies and what's considered worthwhile time investment-wise). I'm assuming you folks have Most of the supplies already, or can get them by Saturday aye?
I work on an iPhone. Sometimes it "corrects" my spelling in all the wrong ways.
Hrafn

Postby Lady Tamara » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:28 am

Mostly you remove the old noodle and replace it with a new noodle. Then rebuild as if it is new.
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Hrafn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 am

Ah. That sounds workable.
I was able to take home a damaged noodle-bat and salvage it's core, so I took the chance to disect it... I'd never really had a good mental image for 'disintegration' until then. Seeing one put together, watching it go through it's paces, and then die would be good for estimating lifespan.

I also wanna see if I can talk y'all into doing a better job of securing the core tip, since I've almost had my ear cauliflowered enough for one hobby ;D
Hrafn

Postby Lady Tamara » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:28 pm

The harder you hit the shorter the lifespan... :lol:
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Hrafn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Oh, I know. I'm just boggled by how short the lifespan is. And the last part was mostly a joke. A friend of mine came along, has played a couple times now, but still has trouble with realizing when he's been hit. The exact scenario involved me taking his arm a good 12 times (torso shots opening me up too much for comfort) before I asked if he realiezed he was probably dead. He "didn't hear me" and continued swinging. We parted, he got beat by someone else, came back after I'd lost a leg, and I accidently blocked my leg with my head (long story).
Our champion then immediately takes the offending weapon off the field, as it blew out (ot blew out more? Unsure) on my face.

I contrast this to my old flatblade. It's seen about 6 months hard use, no cover, against what I hesitantly say would be an SCA calibur shield. The outer edges are softer than when I made them, but that's about it. I can't justify, for myself, saving 1.5 hours now but having to remake it every month or so.
Except, of course, the noodlebats are seductive. Fast, easy, like the proverbial California Girl. Cheap too, unlike said girl.

Hm. Time-wise, if each noodlestick lasts a month, then you end up spending 12 times as long as making a single noodlestick. Assuming 10 minutes, that's about 2 hours. The end result is the same time and money as for a flatblade, but for less looks, greater performance. Interesting. I think I might have an experiment to conduct.
Hrafn

Postby Trieste » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Proper construction technique extends the life of noodle swords, as well as good control in their use.
Collin the Red wrote:Final thought: Has there ever been a Knight belted from a land lower than Duchy?
Trieste

Postby Hrafn » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:41 am

Sadly, I have not had access to Amtgard or noodlebats long enough to really know what the life-span is. I'm guesstimating based on... Well, nothing really. Conjecture, bias, and coincidentally having one weapon of unknown age blow out for every day I've played.

With my luck, my huge nose is eating through the foam when I duck into a swing; I could be singly responisble for doubling my park's expenses :oops:
so, I will just make a noodlebat, and a flatblade, of about equal dimensions, find two volunteers, have em switch off every week, and see what the results are. Hopefully, I will be surprised. New tech is always fun to learn and dissect.
Hrafn

Postby Hrafn » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Ressurrecting a thread rather than making a new one. We have a choice, Diablo's Caildron; that choice is quality or quantity. Specifically, I can, in the next month, make a couple of these;
[center]Image
Image[/center]

Or about 6-8 of the shields we already have. Haven't found any decent pictures yet.

I would really like to start working on PD (if only because it will increase my weapon output once I get good with it by cutting out the sewing part) and the shields would be pretty wicked.
That being said, I've got shield blanks that could be on the field as soon as I get a handle and cover on them, so about 2 hours of work.

So what is it to be, DC? quality or Quantity?
Hrafn

Postby LucasTheLost » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 am

Would these be loaners or personal gear?

For loaners, I'd go with quantity. For individuals', quality.
BS Lucas the Lost
Siar Geata
I'm a DADDY!

<wheeze>Get off my lawn.</wheeze>
LucasTheLost
I made a baby

Postby Hrafn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Good point.
Work schedule changed AGAIN, so by the time I get back out I can have them both done. I'll grab the PD and some microcell foam. Think I'll work on both simultaneously.

Thanks Luc.
Hrafn

Previous

Return to Shire of Diablo's Cauldron - Concord, CA