Looking for a core

Discussion/Information about the Shire of Diablo's Cauldron

Moderator: caliban_tempest

Looking for a core

Postby Hrafn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Ahoy folks, I'm going to be making a pollaxe (staff via the RoP) and don't have a core for it. I need it to be sturdy, or I'd hit up kallandra for some bamboo. Seeing as every price of bamboo on the field has broken on someones knee, though, I'm looking for fiberglass.

And I can't afford an internet order. Why? Because each fiberglass rod would be 3.50 individually, but have requirements like "minimum ten rods per order" which I can't do. So if anyone with capacity to get to/be visited by Diablo's Cauldron has a 5+ foot fiberglass rod, I'll try and buy it off ya. Lemme know, here or via PM.

Hope to hear something soon; if I can pull it off this weapon will be rad.
Last edited by Hrafn on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I work on an iPhone. Sometimes it "corrects" my spelling in all the wrong ways.
Hrafn

Re: Looking for a core

Postby Grix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 pm

If you only need it to be 5 or 6 feet, shop around. You should be able to find a sturdy enough piece of bamboo at that length.

If you want something meaty like an axe, don't go for the tap plastics .745 epoxy tubing. The walls are too thin and, while they're light, I've snapped many of them.
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Hrafn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 pm

I'm looking at about 6'6" overall length. Bamboo would still hold up?
And I'd prefer solid fiberglass if I could get it. They sell them for electric fencing, but I've yet to Dave up enough to get an order.

I may hit Kallandra up after all.
Hrafn

Postby Grix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 pm

The Axe I've got was made before I started playing Amtgard. It's got a bamboo core. The important part is finding a piece of bamboo that's sturdy, without being too thick.

I have never once felt the need to use solid core fiberglass. It whips more than a tube would, and can still snap pretty easily.
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Guyvas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:41 pm

you could use fiberglass band flag poles but they can be expensive they are kind of sturdy but bamboos better
pole vault poles are one of the best but they're $400 a stick

Collin and Tamara have bamboo although some of them are bent pretty bad
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Lady Tamara » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:31 am

Page Guyvas wrote:you could use fiberglass band flag poles but they can be expensive they are kind of sturdy but bamboos better
pole vault poles are one of the best but they're $400 a stick

Collin and Tamara have bamboo although some of them are bent pretty bad

Silly Guyvas, the bamboo belongs to Kalandra. The bamboo isn't bent, it grew that way. :lol:
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Randy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:08 pm

When do you need it buy and how much can you afford?

I can bring you something at darkshore, or "maybe" find a way to get 5 foot section of bandshoppe pole too you. If you think band shoppe is too heavy (cause I do) I might have some better stuff laying around the barn.
Randy

Postby Hrafn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't have a timeline so much as a budget.
I have exactly... $27.89 that I can spend on any Amtgard project. I'm currently making a mandrel for chain, buying a sewing machine for garb, getting PD and a core for weapons, getting leather for some armor, getting PVC and canvas for village buildings, and grabbing any battlegame props I can find or make.

I figure I will be looking for a core for definite by about April 15th (since that's when I can expect to find a surplus of noodle as well), but I would like a core as soon as humanly possible :lol:
From the look of things, I won't be able to make it to darkshore. I will be lucky to make it to any event that isn't a normal park day this year, as I'm looking for better work and won't have a fluid shedule.

Appreciate the offer though. I'm going to try looking for one of those broom handles you suggested, I just have to be able to wake up, before work, when it isn't raining. So next week, maybe.
Hrafn

Return to Shire of Diablo's Cauldron - Concord, CA