The Care and Keeping of Your Newbs

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Wyvern's Spur

Moderators: Azus, Ubrik, Yrduna, Vidya

The Care and Keeping of Your Newbs

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 am

As Azus, Thistledown and I were talking today about how we can keep our newbs and train them so that they are no longer newbies. We brainstormed some ideas:

Increase A&S nights (looking at Saturday night) - If we can get someone's place near the field on Sunday that would rock!
Newbie Tourney - Looking at second weekend of Nov, there will be prizes
Class Masters - People we can direct our newbs to to get information on a class that they are interested in playing
Class Bags - I'm going to start making bags that contain everything, but weapons, to play the 1st and 2nd lvl of a class (ex: Healer: red sash, spellbook, basic tabard with cross on front and belt)
Varying Battlegames - As we increase numbers we can have more fun
Newb Days - (Seth and I were talking about this one) One day a month we can focus on the newbs and teach them something at the field. Lets teach them field etiquette, how to make a rope belt, basic tunic construction, weapon construction, how to fight different styles, and ask them what they want to learn.

I'd also like people to remember why they started playing. I know we have to think really far back to those days when we first came out, but ask yourself why did you start fighting? I started because there was this guy I liked. Eventually guy left Amtgard and I stayed. I stayed because the people I met at Amtgard rock! I came back because they still rock!

Things everyone needs to remember when they deal with newbs:
Don't be clicky. Be an open circle so that people feel welcome and want to stay.Eventually they will become part of the circle
Don't get angry at the newb for sluffing a shot. There are people that have been in the game 20 years and still sluff. Just stay calm and maybe talk to them calmly after the game, or bring it up to the Monarchy and let them handle it.
Encourage everyone to keep coming out and bring friends.
Encourage the arts! If they are doing A&S at home they are thinking about Amtgard and getting excited about the next time they can come out!

Please add your ideas!
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Return to Duchy of Wyvern's Spur - Richmond, CA