A&S Classes

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Thor's Refuge

Moderators: Collin the Red, ravenb

A&S Classes

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:51 pm

DV did an amazing job at classes during his term as Regent and we're going to continue the mission to get all our members geared up.

During the winter reign there will be 1-2 classes per month that will cover all 7 main categories of quals in the hopes that those that have never entered quals before will enter at the end of the reign and get themselves geared up. We will begin to set dates, fees, times, and places as we approach each month.

Classes will be thus:
Dec - Leather Bags with Clenawe - highly recommended as you'll need a bag for quest days
Dec - T-Tunics with Ka'a - Learn the basics on measuring, cutting, sewing, and finishing a tunic. Sewing machines will be limited, so please bring one if possible
Jan - Weapons with Guyvas - Learn how to make legal and safe weapons
Feb - Shields with Guyvas - Now that you know how to build a weapon learn to build something to block them with
Feb - Leather Bracers with Clenawe - Get your armour on and learn how to cut and dye leather. If you would like to learn how to tool your bracers save them after they are cut for the next class
March - Leather tooling with Clenawe - Tool your bracers or make another bag now that you know the basics of cutting and sewing.
March 11th - Cooking with Ka'a - We will be baking bread and creating the desserts for midreign. Cost of class will be low as you'll be making 2 loaves of bread, but only taking 1 home.
March - Bardics with Belias - He has such a pretty voice and can show you how to pass a bardic too
April - Garb with Ka'a - Now that you have the basics of sewing down we will examine the ways in which to plan more intricute garb and look into what makes good feast garb
May - Art with Ka'a - Learn the basics of scroll work and about how to plan a scroll or a simple card

Cooking will be offered through out the reign and the best part is that the cost will be low, if we charge anything, and frequent.

Rose category does not have a class, however, it is highly encouraged that you join the classes and buy spare materials in which to make items to donate to the land. If you cannot afford to take a class, however would like to learn, please let us know and we might be able to work it out so that the item you work on is donated to the land. Items donated to the land through the Rose category will be used for the silent auction on May 11th.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Re: A&S Classes

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:27 am

Leather Bag Class
Who: Clenawe
When: December 4th 6pm
Where: 2433 Ione St
Why: Tunics don't have pockets and having a pouch on your belt will be handy for the quests!
Price: $25 before Thanksgiving, $35 after (we have a limited time discount we're trying to take advantage of). This will include the items to make the pouches, dyes, some decorative items, and supplies. Also, if you want me to run out and grab pizza and soda bring an additional $3
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Basic T-Tunic and Fleece Tunic Class
Who: Ka'a
When: December 18th 6pm
Where: Great Escape Games, 1250 Howe Ave Ste 3A, Sacramento
Supplies to bring:
Simple T-Tunic: 3.5-4 yards 45" wide 100% cotton fabric (go for more if you like them long or with big gores)
T-Tunic optional - 1-1.5 yard accent fabric and thread for applique (borders or design)
Fleece Tunic: 3-4 Yards (go for 1 yard more if you want big sleeves or gores, can be an accent color)
Matching thread
Sharp scissors
Tailor's chalk (contrasting color of your fabric)
Notepad and pencil
Wonder under if you plan on doing any sort of applique (I'll have a limited amount with me for $2/yard)
Sewing machine if possible
Iron and ironing board if possible
Optional - 2-3 packs 1" double fold bias tape, matching thread and a hand sewing needle
Optional - Poster board if planning an appliqued border

We will be going over basic construction, designing, measuring and cutting at the class. If you plan on appliqueing your tunic you will do all the prepwork here, but asked to do the sewing at another time (you can schedule time to learn to applique with me if you want to learn how).

If you're not doing any applique then you'll be encouraged to sew at the class and to try and finish you tunic if there are enough sewing machines. I encourage bias tape for the edges of either types of tunics because it gives your tunics some flare without too much work.

***Hancock Fabrics has a sale for $5/yard fleece and $8/yard Kona Cotton. Joann's has coupons almost weekly.

Seth is wearing a fairly basic tunic with appliqued flames that I designed and made into a stencil. The tunic is fairly baggy because he had lost over 100 lbs since it was made for him.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Joetator » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 pm

BUMP?
Joetator

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm teaching art next month. Anyone interested in scrollwork?
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby EffaniFallstar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Good Afternoon fellow Refugees
This weekend is our A&S park day where we will have a little less fighting and a lot more crafting. Your goal will be to make a tunic (in any style) as decorative or not as you would like. You also will be given a mystery bag when you enter that will have several small items in it at least 1 of these items must be included into your project. At the end of the day we will be having a "Cat Walk" where you can show off your work, to the monarchy who will be judging.
The Tunics will be made out of non conventional materials which we will be providing or you can bring your own. *If you don't want to bring your own items we are asking for $3 just to cover the costs of the materials*
Such materials include but are not limited to:
Shower curtains/liners
Tin foil
Paper plates
Streamers
Plastic table cloths
Parchment paper
Construction paper
For constructing your works of art we will be providing:
White glue
Scotch tape
Staplers
Scissors
Markers
Colored Pencils
If you think of things you would like me to add or you would like to bring things that are not on this list PM me and I will add them. If you need help covering the $3 also PM me and we will figure something out.
I hope to see you all there.
EffaniFallstar

Return to Duchy of Thor's Refuge - Sacramento, CA