The War of the Darkshore XVII (May 15–18)

Information about upcoming local and nation Amtgard events

The War of the Darkshore XVII (May 15–18)

Postby Fiks » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:15 am

Ed Levin County Park
Youth Group Camp and Oak Knoll Group Areas
3100 Calaveras Rd
Milpitas, CA 95035

A long, long time ago in a south-Asian land far, far away: there was a time where battling Gods took form among the mortals and continued their strife. Rama—avatar of Vishnu, born to fight the demon Ravana, and a royal prince—marries the avatar of Lakshmi: Sita. Rama is conspired against, and along with his companion Lakshman and wife Sita, is exiled to the forests. There the war of the gods continue among the dark trees and the sea shores beyond.

Based on the epic Hindu poem, "Ramanaya," this year's Darkshore will transport attendees to the ancient time of the Hindi. Following the lead of our hero, Rama, participants will fend off demons, attack a citadel of monkey people, and assault the land of the demons itself located far across the sea. Darkshore staples of Early Bird Tournaments, Jugging, a Monarchy vs. Populace battle, and Archy Tournaments shall be held as well.

We look forward to a presenting a new venue for California's oldest weekend Amtgard event, and a new take on the ancient Ramayana. Come join us in May for camping, fighting, and feasting!

Details
Gate fee this year will be $30 for every camper arriving Thursday and Friday. Those only showing up for Saturday, or children under the age of 14, will be charged only $15 to enter. Gate opens in the morning and closes at midnight. If you would like to volunteer, speak to the Gate'o'Crat.

Parking will be free as long as you park by the main camping area and ditching grounds. The picnic area across from the campgrounds will be available for parking on Friday and Saturday, and we will be using this area for our games and feasting, but you will be charged to park there by the county park.

While there are no showers built on site, a temporary structure is being planned on for use as a shower stall.

Staff
Autocrats: Ailanthus and Fiks
Feasts: Ka'a
Games: Etah and Cream Puff
Gate: Kind
Security: Waterhammer

Schedule
  • Remember the Golden Rule: Amtgard is two people touching each other honestly. Only play with those wanting to play.
  • Ditching is always an available option for attendees, and is reliant only on there being fighters willing and able. If you finish a meal early and want to work out some kinks, grab your friends and take to the field. Lights will be made available for night ditching.
  • The War'o'crat reserves the right to request the ditching make room for the battle games as time and space require. Please be courteous to our requests as we try to keep the event running on schedule.
  • All battle games are being developed using the most recent test publication of the Amtgard Rules of Play V8. All participants are expected to be familiar with the most recent test publication of the V8 rules. If you are not, please plan ahead by reading the most recent publication and ask your local Amtgard group for help and to run V8 games if you feel it necessary.
  • Note the meals being offered, especially that they are primarily of an south-Asian bent. If you think the meals might not meet any of your dietary requirements or tastes, please plan accordingly to bring your own food.

Thursday
15:00 – Gate Opens
15:00 – Early Bird Militia Game: Kill Your Killer
16:15 – Early Bird Tournament: Open Weapon Iron Man
18:00 – Dinner: Kebabs
00:00 – Gate Closes

Friday
07:00 – Gate Opens
08:00 – Breakfast: Casseroles presented by 100-Acre Woods Household
10:00 – Spell Ball Tournament / Scavenger Hunt
11:00 – Archery Competition
12:00 – Lunch: Shawarma (spiced meat and veggies) and salad
13:00 – Story-line Battle Game: Khara attacks Rama by the river Godavari
14:30 – Militia Battle Game: Kill the Captain (aka Warlord)
15:45 – Story-line Battle Game: Attacking the monkey citadel of Kishkindha
18:00 – Dinner: Taco Bar presented by Odinmadr
00:00 – Gate Closes

Saturday
07:00 – Gate Opens
08:00 – Breakfast: Marauder Burritos presented by the Crimson Marauders
10:00 – Jugging
12:00 – Lunch: Sambusac (turnoever pastries w/beek, chix, or veggie) presented by Taly
13:00 – Story-line Battle Game: The Companions Attack Lanka
14:30 – Battle Game: Monarchy vs. Populace
15:45 – Story-line Battle Game: Rama's Final Showdown with Ravana
18:00 – Gate Closes
18:00 – Dinner: Indian Cuisine Feast (butter chicken, chicken marsala, veggies and rice)
18:30 – Court
19:00 – Bardic

Sunday
08:00 – Breakfast: TBD
09:00 – Late Bird Militia Game: Two Man Forever
12:00 – Final clean-up and go home

All information given could change at any time leading up to the event, especially the schedule.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Re: The War of the Darkshore XVII (May 15-18)

Postby Fiks » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:17 am

Also, shawarma:
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Fiks

Re: The War of the Darkshore XVII (May 15–18)

Postby Mathis » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Is the early bird tournament an Iron Man tourney?
Mathis

Postby Fiks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Games information will be forthcoming as Etah finalizes them. As for the early-bird tournament: it's historically an iron-man, but in the end it's the 'crat's choice. I'll let Etah decide when he offers the game descriptions.
Fiks

Postby Etah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Ironman tourny, not retaining wounds!
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby thistledown » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am

Darn. You went with 3rd weekend instead of 2nd weekend. Now you conflict with maker's faire.
thistledown

Postby Laoric » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:04 pm

How many Amtgarders are expected to go to said faire?
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Fiks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Always something going on, Thistle. Can't decide if you're being ironic or not, though. Didn't think of the faire; not that it would have changed my priorities as far as dates went since it isn't on my radar at all. Third weekend worked best for my schedule and no one else on our team came up with a good enough reason why it couldn't be this weekend. Second weekend wouldn't have worked for me since I couldn't schedule time off thanks to Mother's Day (effing gift holidays). And getting good sites on Memorial Day weekend is exceedingly hard. Third weekend was the best fit for us calling the shots.
Fiks

Postby Laoric » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:32 am

Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby thistledown » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:41 am

I had the Ogdens and number of others vouch for it at midreign. I think Lady T was interested as well. I know traditionally (since leaving Memorial Day) darkshore has been the second weekend, but if you need it to be third, then that's what you need to do. I'd like to get a yearly demo running there, but it's a complicated month.
thistledown

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:04 am

I really wish the times weren't in military time -.-
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Etah » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:37 am

The 24 hour clock is not simply military time. Most jobs use them and it is used heavily overseas.
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby Laoric » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 am

Is someone seriously complaining about the format for listing times? Wow.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Kalandra » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:08 am

HAAAIIIII !!! ^_^ You mentioned there is no standing shower, you did not mention of the restroom facilities are standing or if they are port-o-potties....please advise, thanks! <3
~*~*~*Kalandra the Wretched*~*~*~
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
CARPE NOCTURNUM!
Kalandra

Postby Orko » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:40 am

HEY YO
IM TWENTY ONE>

PLEASE CHANGE ALL RELEVANT FORMATS TO ORKO'S TWENTY FIRST BIRTHDAY BASH
Orko
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Next

Return to Upcoming Events